Friday, April 11, 2008

Contributor Introduction - Jesús Ilundáin Agurruza

Mens sana in corpore sano. Whoever came up with this line was an advertising genius or someone with sadistic leanings (or both).  I fell for it the moment I read it in a fifth grade book, that is, before my woefully inadequate rational side had a fair chance to critically assess it, discard it, and set me onto the sedate pleasures of a sedentary and philistine lifestyle. Which leads me to where I am today: instead of enjoying and reaping the benefits of a healthy and sound mind and body working harmoniously, as the dictum promised, I find myself split in body and mind, pulled between the lure of the sporting life and the siren song of wisdom (whether western or eastern depending on the direction of the wind). But in a twisted and Sisyphean way, I would not have it any other way.   Accordingly, I am currently an assistant professor of philosophy at Linfield College (nestled in a tidy pocket of the American Northwest) who "meditates" spinning on the hilly roads in the area.   My professional interests center on the philosophies  of sport, literature, and art and aesthetics (brewed all together for best results). If pushed I will confess a certain "professional deformation" for metaphysical issues in those areas, but truly all philosophical types of inquiry are fair game.  Teaching is another professional facet to which I am addicted in the best and worst senses of the word. When "off duty" I enjoy bicycle racing (seriously so), a pursuit I share with my "way-tougher-than-I-am" wife, Irene.  I am looking forward to sharing some of the musings that Sophia may inspire me with as I think or ride in this great race that life is.

No comments: